Thursday, January 13, 2011

This is What Happens When People Die...on Twitter and Why Taylor Swift is Successful

Now that I have established this blog, I have seen some things that have really intrigued me lately and maybe they have caught your eye as well.  I keep a pad of paper with me with notes of things that I have witnessed that distress me at times.  Other times, they are quips of knowledge that I will drop on you like Chuck Knoblaugh drops an infield fly ball.  So what I have today are a few things that have kept my wheels spinning for the last few days.
                I am on twitter frequently (@nathanghaynes) and have noticed a disturbing development regarding the poplar topics that “trend”.  It seems that in the past few months, many people have died on this social networking medium.  The legendary Don Shula, NFL head coach of the only undefeated team in history (1972 Dolphins), was pronounced dead on Twitter and was a trending topic for about 6 hours.  Movie icon and actor Morgan Freeman, about a month or so ago, was also marked as dead on Twitter.  Actor, comedian, and writer Keenan Ivory Wayans was also pronounced dead about a week prior to Don Shula being terminated on the social networking site.  These instances have committed people’s thoughts, which only rely on the social networking sites for their news, to blowing these stories out of control to the point that many people believe it to be fact.  I love the social mediums that we have today such as Facebook, Twitter, (the red-headed step child) MySpace, and Tumblr for up to the second updates on friends and “reliable and credible” news stories, if those really exists.  What we seem to have today is a bunch of attention needy people who want everyone to know who they are by reporting false statements about people.  I know that there is a difference between talking junk and making stories up.  This generation seems to be impatient with everything from their news to the speed at which they can get their hamburger at McDonalds.  When things aren’t instant, people get to the point of frustration that they have to find something that is instantly gratifying.  I love things that are instant like mac and cheese, text messaging, and Eduardo the pool boy when I ring his bell but I enjoy things that take time because it shows that someone put some effort into their craft.  So to the people of the universe that want to report on the death or demise of someone or something or whatever it may be, go and become a journalist and take the time to do your research because if you cannot get your facts straight, what is the point of taking the time to right anything at all.
Then there was this thought as I left the Walgreens today.  Well, besides that I needed a butterfinger, Carmex, and a watch battery.
                I saw where Jake Gyllenhaal broke up with Taylor Swift.  Here is my tragic face.  I really don’t care about either one of them in any component of my life but this caught me.  I sat back and laughed.  I looked at my mother and told her, “Give Taylor Swift 8 months and she will have her next country number 1.”  And that started this.  I think that she dates men to have them break up with her in order to make money off of them.  Each man that has left her, she has written a song about their relationship and greatly profited from it.  Yea, I said it.  The dullest person ever has a business plan and works it to perfection.  I think that her previous boyfriends deserve a cut of some variety.  Don’t they?  I mean the darn thing is about them.  So why shouldn’t they profit from her gross earnings if she is writing about them?  I know the real answer but I thought that I would pose this hypothetical question.  It was just a thought people like how I want Yolo right now or how being a pirate would be awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed on Ms. Swift. Me commenting on life experiences on a blog, mentioning people anonymously, is one thing. Taylor Swift writing songs about publicly-recognized/scrutinized relationships is different. If I'm Gyllenhaal, I'd be listening intently to her next album...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor's not the only one. If Taylor's exes get a cut, anyone ever mentioned in an Eminem song should be paid big money too.

    I also want Yolo.

    ReplyDelete